iOS Downloaded Image File Names
  • I recently switched to iOS, and I can't seem to find a way to get downloaded files off the phone with tags in the filename. For example, on the android version the filenames would be "server url post id tags ...", but the iOS version saves the files to albums in photos. When I pull them off the phone to my computer I get random characters in the filename instead.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a limitation of how iOS stores images on internal storage? The tags in the filename helped immensely with automatically sorting images after the fact, and I would love to have that feature back.
  • 4 Comments Ordenar por
  • The problem with the names is a limitation with the API we use to save the images to the Photo album.

To be honest, we haven't checked this recently, perhaps there may be something new to change the names, but I can't tell for sure right now. We will take a look at this for the next update.

In the meantime, there is small workaround. Every post you add to your favorites is saved locally. You can access these image/video files using the File Sharing feature on iTunes:

1. Either load the normal or original image of a post, and add it to your favorites.
    2. Connect your phone to your computer and launch iTunes.
    3. Open the summary screen of your device
    4. On the menu on the left select File Sharing
    5. Select "Anime boxes" on the "Apps" list
    6. Select the files and click "save to..." or drag them to a folder

The downside of this solution is that files can't be sorted inside iTunes, so is difficult to know is which files are already saved. Also the same file can be present twice, with the normal (sample) and original (full) versions. The names include "sample" and "full" to differentiate between the two.

By the way, this the only option you have to access the webm files, since they aren't supported natively. iOS 11 already supports animated gifs.
  • Ahh, I knew about the file sharing feature in iTunes but I didn't think adding a favorite would save a copy though. I added a few to test it, and the original filenames are back so my sorting script can work again.

Also, does hitting delete all favorites from within settings erase all the saved images from the phone? When I dump all the images to my computer I like to start over to conserve storage space.
  • Yes, the "Delete favorites" option on the settings screen will remove all files, thumbnails and metadata.
  • Any way to add a precache toggle for wifi connections, too?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!